Sunday 27 October 2013

Simplicity wrap skirt


 Happy Sunday one and all,

I trust you've all had suitably fab and relaxing weekends. After drinking more tea that should be humanly possible this morning, whilst listening to my vinyl Vera Lynn album (my new theme song is It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow) and reading trashy home mags, I finally launched myself into the day.

After a slight delay I finished my Simplicity 7352 wrap skirt and I have to say I'm pretty darn happy with it. My variations to the pattern included:
  • making the skirt reversible by adding a contrasting fabric but I kept the yokes the same on both sides
  • I added several inches length to the ties since those suckers are always far too short for my liking
  • I top stitched the whole thing 1/8 inch which took a while but was worth  it
 
The very cute sewing themed fabric
I also toyed with the idea of adding a pocket at the side seam which would have probably been ok but having tried it on I'm glad I didn't as I fear it might have messed with the nice A-line effect.

All in all this was a super simple and straightforward make. I highly recommend it because the cut is really flattering on 99.9% of the population and is a classic style. It's quite similar to a modern pattern called the Miette doing the rounds at the moment by the lovely and talented Tilly of Tilly and the Buttons but mine is 37 years old!

Some of you may be thinking 'I don't know if a wrap skirt is for me. Don't those leave you with countless opportunities for unintentional knicker exposure'? I confess I also had these worries but they have been banished after trying this baby on. The back panels are of a very generous width meaning there's plenty to 'wrap around' if you know what I mean. If you were feeling particularly nervous about it though one solution could be the placement of a discreet press stud on the inside of the flap and outside of the skirt. A word of warning though, this can affect the drape of your skirt so you may want to get the help of a friend to place it carefully. You'd also need to do this before sewing the two sides together if it's reversible.

So, that's the end of my sewing adventures for another week. I hope you all have a great week ahead!

Blog signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...